Sunday, December 11, 2011

The simple things....

Ok, so tonight I realized how much I miss doing the simple things. I wanted to have a piece of cheesecake and I wanted to warm up the jar of fudge I have in the fridge, to drizzle on top. I cut the pie, and went to open the jar. I tried and tried and tried, and the more I tried to open the jar the weaker I got and finally I just gave up. It was so sad. Like dangling a delicious carrot and never giving it to the horse.
This is not the first time something like this has happened. Happens frequently with jars, and a week or so ago my daughter was crying for a bottle and I couldn't open the bottle to refill the milk. She cried and cried and ended up crying herself to sleep and all because I couldn't do the simple act of opening her bottle to refill it.
The more I try and the weaker I get..... then my hand will sometimes lock in the position of trying to open something and the fingers will get all scrunched up and I have to stick my hand in ice to try and loosen things up.

So anyways, the point of this post is to remind myself and everyone not to forget about the little things. Sure there are things we all take for granted like opening a jar, or buttoning a button. But there are other things that we need to remember to find joy in.
A child's smile or laugh.
The sweet "I love you" from someone special.
A beautiful sunset.
A star filled sky
Time spent with a good friend.
Disposable diapers instead of cloth.
A washing machine.
A microwave.
The minivan.
The smell of an old bookstore.
A hot bubble bath.
Baking on a stormy day.
Letters to Santa.
Answered prayers & unanswered prayers.

These are a few of my favorite things. :-)

Never forget to be grateful for the small things. Find joy life a small child does. They find joy in the smallest most simplest things. A balloon, a sticker, a Christmas tree, dancing to music, reading a story, a yummy treat, taking a trip, a puppy. Such small simple things, and so much joy they find. We can do that too if we take a step back from the busy day to day and count all our many blessings, and see God's hands in the simple things in life.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! I miss you Sarah! You are amazing. I am looking forward to getting back to the "simple things" in life. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete