Thursday, November 3, 2011

A new friend....

So it's been FOREVER since I posted to the blog. The spinal epidural procedure they did went well. It has helped the pain a little in my knees and my lower back. It's not a substantial enough change to have changed my life or anything, but every little bit helps. So there is my quick update on my health. Not much has changed. I do have something new that has happened for me though...

So this disease I have typically only effects people with a skin thing called psoriasis and of the percentage with psoriasis, the arthritis only affects about 5%. So very few people suffer with this. I never thought I would ever actually meet someone else with this disease. Then I was at church this past Sunday and my relief society president and friend introduced me to a woman that was new to our ward who has the same psoriatic arthritis that I do! We sat and talked for about 2 1/2 hours. We were instant friends. I could see her becoming a best friend... a life long best friend. The weight that was lifted off my shoulders in having someone to talk to that truly understand every aspect, physical and emotional, of this disease and share what we are going through together as mothers and wives... it was just incredible. It probably seems silly to blog about making a new friend... but the experience was very special to me. Having someone to share all this with that can understand on a level so different than anyone else in my life. It was really cool and continues to be as we get to know each other better.

I am so grateful to all the friends and family that have supported me and cared about me and continue to do so everyday. I have been so blessed with a loving family and loving friends to help me get through this difficult time as I learn to adjust my life to live with this disease for the rest of my life. My future plans have to change, everything takes more preparation, I go to the doctor more in the last year than I have been in my entire life... I want so badly to take my kids to disneyland for the first time this next year and all I can think is "how am I going to walk around that place all day and stand in lines?" It's something I'm honestly not sure I can do, but I have to be able to because I can't let this affect my kids and change the wonderful experiences that they should be able to have as children.

Anyways, those are just some thoughts that have been rolling around in my head the last few days.

Again, I am so grateful to all of you that have been there for me and continue to be there for me. I am so blessed and so lucky.

And to my new friend... you're awesome! I'm feel so lucky that we have come into each others lives when we needed it most! :-)

1 comment:

  1. You have brought tears to my eyes Sarah! I want to let you know that I feel the same way you do, it's like I've known you for a long time, it's so weird (in a great way, of course!) :-)
    You can count on me whenever you need! Even if it's for just talking about things, or if you need a helping (but not perfect) hand, lol.
    Don't give up on your dream to take your children to Disneyland, I know it's hard, I've done it and I know it's possible, even with all the difficulties.
    It will make this event even more special and meaningful to you and your family, and it will be worth it! Just take things slowly and at your own pace, set your limits and everything should work out fine.
    Thank you for being a great friend, see you in a few days, and have a great weekend!
    You are so awesome and special! I feel grateful for having met you!

    ReplyDelete