Thursday, September 29, 2011

Kirby Salesman

So today I had an interesting experience. I had a door to door salesman for the Kirby vacuum/carpet cleaner come to the door and offer to give me one room free carpet cleaning to show me the product. I needed to get my front room cleaned anyways so I said "sure".

The guy comes in and gets started showing me everything. It was a good product and it worked and I was impressed but it was VERY expensive.

So I called Adam to see what he thought and we agreed it was just too much right now with Christmas coming up and we just had to drop 2000 on our van cause our AC gave out and we're hoping to get the kids a new puppy for christmas.

That's when the true colors of the salesman came out. Now, I've worked in sales my whole life. One of the main rules is that you NEVER burn the bridge. Even if the customer says "no" the first time, that doesn't mean you haven't planted the seed of a good product and that the person will not say "yes" a few months down the road. This guy apparently did not get that memo of how to treat a customer or future costumer.

He started out by asking me if I was LDS. I said "yes, how did you know." and he said "it's a feeling you get when you walk into a home." and I said "well thank you, I take that as a compliment" (I have had many repair guys in the house and I have heard that almost every time. They say that LDS homes have a level of peace they don't feel other places.) and the guy says "you can take it however you want. another way to know an LDS person is because they are not willing to finance anything." and I said "ya, that's probably true, but Mormons are taught to have zero debt, to have money put away for a rainy day and food storage in case of job loss or natural disaster, etc". (Mormons are in no way perfect and there are I'm sure many LDS people that do have debt and don't have money or food storage but it is what we are taught and asked to do so most LDS people do strive to do those things just as I'm sure a lot of non-LDS people do. I know I have a cousin that is not LDS that has zero debt and money put away for a rainy day) He made one of those rude snorting laughs and said "ya, you're prepared for everything except the kirby salesman." and I said "We save our rainy day money for important things like if my husband were to lose his job or we had an emergency medical thing or home repair or our recent AC going out in the mini van. But no, we don't conside the kirby salesmans vacuum to be an emergency need" He then did another snorted laugh.

He made a few more comments about my religion as he packed up to leave. Then as he walks out the door (I'm still trying to be nice but firm) and I said "good luck with your future sales but I will not be wanting to buy your product at any point in the future." and he said "Well, I'm sure the next person will buy the product and hopefully their home will be cleaner too."

That pissed me off!!! If you know me you know that I am a tad bit OCD about my house. Granted I have 3 kids and my house is not perfect but I keep it pretty darn clean so what he said was totally wrong not to mention totally uncalled for! I mean seriously!

So anyways, there is my experience with the kirby salesman. I immediately contacted the company and complained. Such a jerk!

No comments:

Post a Comment