Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Aug 16, 2011

I am scared to death!

I have been on pain killers for over a year now because the psoriatic arthritis causes me horrible chronic pain.

My doctor sent me to the Arizona Pain Center. They are planning to do something called a radiofrequency ablation. It's basically going into my spine with a needle and frying the nerves that cause my chronic arthritis pain. Before they can do the radiofrequency ablation they have to do TWO test runs. It's basically the same thing (needle in the back, burning nerves) but it's suppose to just show the doctors what areas the radiofrequency ablation will work on. The pain will only cease for about 5 hours with the first two tests but the actual ablation has a chance to take the pain away for 6 months - 3 years. Depends on the person. If all goes well and it works then after the first two tests run I will schedule the actual surgery. It is outpatient surgery, but it is surgery cause they have to put me in a twilight sleep. The actual surgery should take a good chunk of the pain away after just 2 weeks and then after 4 weeks it will reach its maximum potential. It will then take me 4 more weeks to wean off the pain killers.

I'm really scared because the nurses and the doctor that i spoke with said that this procedure is really painful. I have to do it 3 times. Burning the nerves in my spine... gosh, it does not sound pleasant at all.

I am however going to do it and I'm really excited about it. I HATE being dependant on pain medicine every day. If this works..... gosh it would be a complete miracle!

I will be fasting before the surgery and praying constantly. If anyone is reading this blog I would appreciate some prayers sent my way.

Wish me luck! I'll update the blog with how it goes as soon as I'm up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment