Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Trial & a blessing

Every once in awhile you get hit and knocked down. It's what you do after that that determines if, why or how you get back up. Sometimes its physical, sometimes its emotional. I experienced both tonight.

This morning I was helping my son get ready for school. I had his shirt up over his head and he jerked me really hard. I heard a pop and the pain set in. It was awful! I couldn't hold my head up on my own and I could not move without wincing in pain every time. But tonight I had this scout event. For those of you that are reading this and don't know, I'm a Den Leader in the Cub Scout Wolf program. I LOVE it! Best calling ever and I hate when I have to let them down because of my health issues. So here i am.....barely able to hold my own head up and wanting to cry from the pain. I had been to the doctor earlier and she said that it was pretty bad. She thought after examining me that those discs in my neck that are slipping had actually popped out. So I sat in my car for a minute and said a prayer. I prayed and made a deal that if I went in to this pack meeting and did my very best to make this awesome for the boys & their families and I helped serve in every way I could find to serve, that Heavenly Father would take the pain away so I could get through this evening and get a chance to talk to all the parents etc. Then I got out of the car.....and from the first moment that I put the bowl of food down and said my first "hello" it started to effect the pain in a positive way. Then as the night went on I did as much as I could. I mingled and spoke with all the parents of our scouts and I tried to get people plates so they wouldn't need to get up, and I did dishes....just whatever I could do. And by the time I left the party the pain was gone. Just gone. It's amazing how strong the power of prayer is. It was a really amazing testimony builder to me.

At this party I spoke with a good friend of mine whos' father in law is going to be passing away soon. My friend has a son about 10 years old and because that child is a little awkward with social stuff, his grandpa, that lives near by, became his best friend. So now this young man has to watch his best friend die right before his eyes. He is staying home from school and did not even want to come to the scouting event cause he was scared to leave and not be there at the very end. It pained me so badly to see that, and not just because I'm a compassionate person but because I went through the same thing when I was his exact age. My grandmother .....who was my best friend, set up a bed in the living room, slipped in and out of a coma and I was there for it all. I use to ditch school just to be back there so I could read her favorite stories from the Bible or sing her favorite songs. She loved it when i sang to her. Anyways.....my heart is just breaking for this young man. The death of my grandma/best friend shaped me in so many ways and effects who I am to this day. I'm guessing the same will be said for this young man. I want to take his pain away so badly but I know he has to live it. I'm so grateful he has such an incredible mother to get him through it.

Stories like that really put life into perspective. It makes what we are all going through in our individual lives seem so small. Here I complain about having to do treatments that are eventually going to help make me better, when there is a man dying, and a young man falling apart emotionally because of it. It certainly makes me grateful for what I have, and it makes me deal with everything else a little better too.

We all have our trials. None are too big or too small. I wish everyone could use this blog to put some of their stories in. Make it a little forum for women who need support and love of other women.

No comments:

Post a Comment