Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 28, 2011

Tonight our dog got bad. For the last 2 weeks he had not been eating. Tonight he could not even get up to go to the bathroom. We had to load him into the van and take him to the 24 hr pet clinic. We waited and waited and they came in and told us that they were confident that he had cancer of the spleen and that he was now bleeding out.

Adam got Scooby when he was a puppy just born. Scooby got him through some rough times. They were best friends, it was his only family out here in Arizona at the time. He really really loved him. This was brutal on him and watching him go through the loss of his best friend was like torture.

The doctor said that it was her recommendation that because of his age and how extremely ill he had become very soon, was that he should be euthanized.
We agreed. We didn't want him to suffer anymore. He had been such a good beautiful dog. They brought him in and gave us a chance to cuddle with him gently and tell him we love him and say goodbye. Then after we had time to say goodbye the doctor came in with her needles of sedation and then the barbiturate shot that basically overdosed him and stop his hear. But he did not feel a thing and it was very peaceful. The last words spoken to him before he died were by his dad and he said "Go Chase those birdies in Heaven boy....." That was his favorite thing to do.

When we told Michael that Scooby went to live with Heavenly Father he said 'he died?" and I said "yes sweetie." and he said "Maybe he is up in the sky with heavenly Father playing on the clouds and chasing birds." Such a sweet spirit he had. He gave me comfort during a very difficult time.

It was peaceful but awful. We had to do it but that doesn't make it any easier.

It did give me a wake up call about my own dog. Since my kids came along but dog ended up living with my mom. I see my dog once a week but when I'm there I'm all about my kids and he barely gets any of my attention. That is going to change right now! My dog got me through the host hellish part of my youth and he is still here whenever I need him, I'm so grateful for the opportunity that I have to show him how much i love him and how much he means to me.

So what I want to leave with everything tonight is: It's NEVER too late........never......

No comments:

Post a Comment